A little... okay really late update from ABRCMS 2019

Students from the Simmons Lab attended the Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students in Anaheim,CA this past November. They both presented their posters and did amazing jobs of demonstrating mastering of the concepts and the direction that the science was heading. I am sure their mentor was very proud!

I also gave a scientific talk there as well, which was pretty fun for my first time speaking at ABRCMS. I actually attended ABRCMS as an undergraduate student, so this experience for me was almost surreal. It is not often that black men make it all the way through the "pipeline", and I never thought that I would be one of the few. I think I was having too much fun to realize that maybe I wasn't suppose to have made it... NAH!!!! I had mentors. People who kept me on task and taught me lessons very early, yes I had fun but it would not been possible to travel across country with my own mentees, had I not been mentored myself.

I think this was my favorite conference ever ( even though it wasn't at a fancy resort overseas). I want to say thank you hear to both of my students who joined me ( Bre and Eric). They have really helped me check off something I never knew that I had on my bucket list.


Comments